Hi KP

at 01.09.2011 18:16, KP Kirchdoerfer wrote:
> Besides the structure (where Andrew may have an better response, what needs
> be done, if we change it), keep in mind that a lot of hardware related
> modules
> are in initrd - they are still installed if you remove them and save
> modules.lrp. So removing modules will be a two-step process (regenerate
> initrd, save modules.lrp).

Oh I am absolutely aware of that. The problem we are facing is, that we
are too flexible to be small. Still, I would like to provide at least a
suitable initrd for ALIX and WRAP, which is not that overloaded.

My other goal is to improve the installation process in a way that it is
less susceptible to configuration errors. I have, for some years
already, firewalls with multiple configurations deployed on each one.
Managing the upgrade from 3.x to 4.x is a major issue, even if one has
sufficient storage and no issues with shorewall/perl.

In the old times, when we built flopppy images, there was no reasonable
way to upgrade, so the distribution of an image was pretty easy. Nobody
expected it to be configured right out of the box. Today with more
complex settings one is expected to upgrade with minimal interruption
time, the configuration is supposed to be identical and a fallback
scenario is a must, the most challenging being headless devices in
remote places. For these I cannot just increase the storage as they may
be tedious to get to. I need a bare minimum for those, so they can be
accessed for configuration.

I am using GRUB as a boot manager and can thus use different releases
and configs on the same hardware. Recent versions allow to set default
configurations based on successful loading of the OS, but that is still
insufficient for unattended devices. What I would like to have is a way
to safely upgrade to a state where the device is at least manageable.
One of the challenges is and was always a bad leaf.cfg and/or inittab
within initrd.

cheers

Erich