Hi

on 02.06.2012 20:38, david M brooke wrote:

> Looks like it's back online now so no need for any immediate action.
>
> We also have an obligation to provide source code for everything we ship as
> part of each LEAF distribution, in order to comply with the terms of most of
> the open source licenses, and it's *much* easier to do that if we have a copy
> of the source in our own repository. There isn't quite such a strict
> requirement for the buildenv / toolchain since that is not (currently) made
> available in compiled form.
>
> Personally I don't have a problem with us maintaining copies of upstream
> source code in our own repository. It's not a huge volume of data and we've
> had problems with even "reliable" repositories like kernel.org being taken
> offline in the past. IMHO it's better to isolate from such issues. The
> maintenance overhead is not too bad.

<flame>

Maybe my personal opinion in this is too much biased by the fact that I
just hate redundancy, be it big or small. That we keep large pieces of
the code in our own repository is a fact which does not make it less
redundant. I am not a lawyer, so I have the right to be convinced that
as long as the source code of the project can be provided AND we
document where it came from, that should be sufficient. If not then I
reserve the right to believe that this license is stupid and should not
be taken as an excuse to produce data waste. I would like to know what
information theories would be violated by such massive data duplication.

</flame>

Be it as it is and I am not in a position to change it, I still hate
redundancy.

cheers

Erich