Hi Martin;

Am 02.06.2012 23:58, schrieb Martin Hejl:
> Hi Erich,
>
>> I am not a lawyer, so I have the right to be convinced that
>> as long as the source code of the project can be provided AND we
>> document where it came from, that should be sufficient.
> You're not a lawyer, and neither am I - but the rules set out at
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sitelegal/wiki/Controversial%20project%20hosting#SourceAvailability
> do not seem to give us much in the way of being space efficient by
> simply linking to other sources.
>
> The part where it says that "SourceForge.net requires that source code
> releases be made via our File Release System for any binary releases
> made via our File Release System or any other project resource." seems
> to make it clear (at least to me) that we're not even doing enough in
> the way of redundancy (since I read that as us having to provide all
> sources in the FRS as well, just having them in git is not good enough.).
> I don't disagree with you (both that it's redundant, and that it's
> stupid to have to provide sources ourselves, even though they're
> available up-stream) - but the way I read the SF page, if we don't agree
> with that, we'd better host the site somewhere else. And honestly, it
> seems easier to waste a bit of space on the SF servers (since they
> demand it), than to find a different host for the site.
>
> There's been plenty of discussion about that topic back in 2010 (just
> look up the "Talks about versioning system" thread from September 2010)
> - I still believe we're not fully complying to the terms that SF
> demands, but since it seems I was the only one feeling that way, I
> dropped the argument after a while.
>
> But I still read the SF page to state that we don't really have a choice
> - and that we're not even burning _enough_ storage yet, since we only
> keep things in git, but not also in the FRS.

I believe this has been solved with providing the source tarball in FRS
for each release.

> I don't think it should be that way, but that's the way I understand
> SourceForge wants it to be.
>
>> If not then I
>> reserve the right to believe that this license is stupid and should not
>> be taken as an excuse to produce data waste.
> I don't think it's so much about a license, but more about the Terms and
> Conditions that SF imposes.
>
>> I would like to know what
>> information theories would be violated by such massive data duplication.
> None as far as I'm concerned - but don't try to apply logic to any
> document that was written up by the legal department of a company :-)
>
>> Be it as it is and I am not in a position to change it, I still hate
>> redundancy.
> Same here. At the same time, if the upstream servers are not reliable, I
> would see that as a valid reason for adding redundancy, just for the
> sake of people being able to run a build even if those servers don't
> happen do be up at a given point in time.

There has been an exception by SF staff for packages considered to have
a stable download source like gcc or the kernel - but we've learned last
year that even those are not always online and we moved the kernel into
our git repository as well, just to keep things going.