Le 6 janv. 2014 à 17:31, KP Kirchdörfer <kap...@users.sourceforge.net> a écrit :

> Hi Yves;
>
> I knew I made something wrong :)
> Because of that I started only with the "old" maint branch, which I hoped
> wouldn’t be that harmful, and didn't touch anything else.

It hard to break (not recoverable) in git.

> The main idea was that maint until now has had fixes for 4.x, where mainly
> master was for version 5. I now want to move 5.0.x to maint, which receive
> further maintenance for shure, while preserving a way to maintain also 4.x if
> necessary, though I do expect very few changes.
>
> And the idea also is to merge the rpi branch into master, that means master
> will be moved feature-wise to a 3.10 kernel etc and the main development
> branch and base for the next major version (5.1).
>
>> In any case we only do fast-forward for integration branch !!
>>
>> I have update the Git Workflow guide to explain how to manage the maint
>> branch after a new release: http://goo.gl/dAxfQ2
>
> I've read that, but I do not understand, sorry.
>
> Given that we only had maint branch, and that the command I know to create a
> new branch is
>
> git branch current-branch new branch

No the command is
git branch new-branch start-point

so to copy the old maint branch to maint-4.x do:
git branch maint-4.x maint

> the command in the docs, looks to me the other way round. I would have
> expected
>
> git branch maint maint-X.(Y-1)

No it’s git branch maint-X.(Y-1) maint

>> After that we need to fast forward the maint branch to master so the master
>> branch become the new maint branch: git checkout maint
>> git merge —ff-only master
>>
>> After that we can work on master like before and tag the new releases.
>>
>> Sorry for the time to reply but i don’t see your message during christmas
>> holidays.
>
> No pb, thx for responding and patience.
>
> I learned a lot the last year about working with git, and I hope at the end
> of
> the year I’ll be able to doing basic tasks error-free :)

I have try rapidly do ff the old maint to master and it’s not working because
you have forget to merge a commit in maint in master. Do:
git log master..maint
commit 9dff17faf09948a1232324a41715e1a5f06d5cb7 (origin/maint, maint)
Author: kapeka <kap...@users.sourceforge.net>
Date:   Sun Jun 23 15:35:57 2013

    remove outdated entries

This commit (9dff17fa) must be merge into master even if it cannot apply at all
in master.
Remember to always merge commit upwards along integration branches.

So first merge (and resolv the conflict) the commit in master using the command
describe here:
http://bit.ly/JYvUbZ

I can do it for you if you have a difficulty to resolv the conflict.

Then you can fast-forward the maint to master (so the maint branch will be at
the current master position).

> btw: how can we fix the wrong rename/move of maint to maint-4.x?

Yes easy :D
remove local and remote branches with the commands:
git checkout master
git branch -d maint-4.x
git push origin :maint-4.x

Now you can follow the instructions above to copy maint to maint-4.x and master
to maint

Regards,
Yves