Am Montag, 6. Januar 2014, 18:00:08 schrieb Yves Blusseau:
> Le 6 janv. 2014 à 17:31, KP Kirchdörfer <kap...@users.sourceforge.net> a
écrit :
> > Hi Yves;
> >
> > I knew I made something wrong :)
> > Because of that I started only with the "old" maint branch, which I hoped
> > wouldn’t be that harmful, and didn't touch anything else.
>
> It hard to break (not recoverable) in git.

Good :)

> > The main idea was that maint until now has had fixes for 4.x, where mainly
> > master was for version 5. I now want to move 5.0.x to maint, which receive
> > further maintenance for shure, while preserving a way to maintain also 4.x
> > if necessary, though I do expect very few changes.
> >
> > And the idea also is to merge the rpi branch into master, that means
> > master
> > will be moved feature-wise to a 3.10 kernel etc and the main development
> > branch and base for the next major version (5.1).
> >
> >> In any case we only do fast-forward for integration branch !!
> >>
> >> I have update the Git Workflow guide to explain how to manage the maint
> >> branch after a new release: http://goo.gl/dAxfQ2
> >
> > I've read that, but I do not understand, sorry.
> >
> > Given that we only had maint branch, and that the command I know to create
> > a new branch is
> >
> > git branch current-branch new branch
>
> No the command is
> git branch new-branch start-point
>
> so to copy the old maint branch to maint-4.x do:
> git branch maint-4.x maint
>
> > the command in the docs, looks to me the other way round. I would have
> > expected
> >
> > git branch maint maint-X.(Y-1)
>
> No it’s git branch maint-X.(Y-1) maint

Ok. You are the expert.

> >> After that we need to fast forward the maint branch to master so the
> >> master
> >> branch become the new maint branch: git checkout maint
> >> git merge —ff-only master
> >>
> >> After that we can work on master like before and tag the new releases.
> >>
> >> Sorry for the time to reply but i don’t see your message during christmas
> >> holidays.
> >
> > No pb, thx for responding and patience.
> >
> > I learned a lot the last year about working with git, and I hope at the
> > end of the year I’ll be able to doing basic tasks error-free :)
>
> I have try rapidly do ff the old maint to master and it’s not working
> because you have forget to merge a commit in maint in master. Do: git log
> master..maint
> commit 9dff17faf09948a1232324a41715e1a5f06d5cb7 (origin/maint, maint)
> Author: kapeka <kap...@users.sourceforge.net>
> Date:   Sun Jun 23 15:35:57 2013
>
>     remove outdated entries
>
> This commit (9dff17fa) must be merge into master even if it cannot apply at
> all in master. Remember to always merge commit upwards along integration
> branches.
>
> So first merge (and resolv the conflict) the commit in master using the
> command describe here: http://bit.ly/JYvUbZ

I believe did that with latest commits.

> I can do it for you if you have a difficulty to resolv the conflict.
>
> Then you can fast-forward the maint to master (so the maint branch will be
> at the current master position).

Locally I do have maint-4.x, how to proceed?

> > btw: how can we fix the wrong rename/move of maint to maint-4.x?
>
> Yes easy :D
> remove local and remote branches with the commands:
> git checkout master
> git branch -d maint-4.x
> git push origin :maint-4.x

Really? master is at 5.0. What I'm looking for is to have move back maint-4.x
to maint, then do it right to move maint to maint-4x and from then to create a
new maint from master.

Gosh, git is still too much for me :)

kp