Well you may be working around in circles,
LEAF (formally a subset of LRP) uses a specially patched kernel ...this
patch is NOT part of the standard Linux kernel that Linus releases in the
kernels....this is also where a normal kernel dies with a unable to mount
root error.
LEAF kernels have been ported from kernels 2.2.16, 2.2.18, and 2.2.19, with
some experimental (and unrecommended for now) 2.4.x kernels
I would recommend to you two things
1) Stick with the 2.2.16 kernel available from either my image or if you
need IDE support from
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/cstein/files/kernels/2.2.16-1/
2) Seriously think about using a computer that's at least twice as fast as
that poor 486sx, I use a PacificBell ADSL connection that is rated (and
surprisingly I can get) 1.5mbit down and 124k up, but ive found that the
overhead in converting PPP packets to Ethernet packets (which is what PPPoE
does) causes a 486 computer to bog down and not be able to handle the DSL
connection with speeds over 500k.
A perfect example is that my LEAF box running my image is running on a
AMD586-133 (which is just a tad faster than a Pentium75) bogs down and hits
75% to 100% cpu usage with about 1.1mbit in transfers going....in fact im
planning on replacing it with a Pentium200 soon...
Of course these are from my tests and probably vary between ISP's
PPPoE was designed as a useful protocol for the ISP's and not for the users

-Kenneth Hadley