>causes a 486 computer to bog down and not be able to handle the DSL
   >connection with speeds over 500k.

How have you been monitoring the CPU usage? With top or something else?

I have been running your pppoe-image now for a couple of weeks, my connection
is rated 1.5M/512k, but I have been able to get only something like 800k/400k
out of it.

Anyway, my LRP-machine is 486DX2-66 with 32M and it does not seem to be having
any problems with that kind of traffic. But then, without means to actually
measure the CPU load I would not probably knew even if it was having problems...

/mek