On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Mart Kempen wrote:

> > Follow the instructions:
> >
> > myrouter# more /var/log/messages
> >

> Could you be a little bit more specific what you mean by this? Where can I
> find this instructions?

The instructions included in the web page said: "See the messages log
files for details."  I guess I was too brief in my hint as to how to do
this.

There may be more than one way to look at the message log depending on
what niceties you have, but the most common way is to log into the router
the same way you configured it, "quit" the menu system, and use the
"more" command to look through the "/var/log/messages" file.  Thus, you
would be faced with a command prompt something like

 myrouter#

and would enter "more /var/log/messages" and press the "Enter" key to use
the "more" program to view the file.

> I checked my firewall rules, in the 'routerstatus' (web based)
>
> and found this line:
>
> pkts bytes target     prot opt    tosa tosx  ifname     mark       outsize
> source
> 697 31396 DENY       all  ----l- 0xFF 0x00  eth0
> 0.0.0.0/0
>
> destination           ports
> 0.0.0.0/0             n/a
>

> This first number is exact the number of packets that are denied.
>
> Can anyone conclude something from this line?

On its own, not much.  It looks like the line at the bottom of the list
that covers everything not specifically ALLOWed by the lines above it.
The message log should have lines indicating a little more detail about
what packets were denied and why.

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing