Charles> You and me both, but right now there's no way for the system
Charles> to know what's changed...things are headed this direction,
Charles> though.

Maybe take a clue from the old '/etc/dumpdates' file that dump/restore
used to use, but extend it.  You've got the files which list the
members of each package, and what type they are.  Maybe you just need
to extend the format.  Now totally off the cuff without actually
*knowing* the existing format, I could see something like:

being reasonablely easy to parse.  Obviously, only if a file is of
type 'volatile' would it need to be backed up.

Once you goto the backup menu, it would do a quick scan through all
the files, check all the 'volatile' ones for their last update time,
then compare it against the <dump date> listed for the various files.

Though maybe it would make more sense to have an /etc/dumpdates file,
which would just have:

<package>:<dump date>

And it any file in a package was newer than <dump date> the package
would get listed for backup.  Again, you'd only look at files which
are of type <volatile> for this stuff.

Charles> I'm always looking for comments, hints, and documentation.  I
Charles> realize there should be some documetntation specific to the
Charles> CD version, I just haven't had time to write it :<

I'll see what I can send you over the next few days.  Mostly I'm
taking your existing README text and elaborating on it and expanding
it and breaking it down into multiple files.  You've got some great
notes there, just a bit cryptic.  *grin*

Charles> I'll add an example lrpkg.cfg to the next CD...good idea!

Thanks.

John
   John Stoffel - Senior Unix Systems Administrator - Lucent Technologies
         [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.lucent.com - 978-952-7548