> I tried to upgrade my lrp box from the little 486DLC to my HP Pavilion
> which has a PII 400 mhz cpu.
> So I took the nic's which are 3Com 3c509b ISA bus and the
> Eigerstein2beta pppoe v.0.4 disk from the 486 and put them into the HP.
>   After the system boots up I checked to see if it found the cards and
> it did.  Eth0 =00:20:AF:40:77:E2 and Eth1=00:60:8C:E9:F3:5E  which is
> what is printed on the nic's, and cables are plugged in correctly ( eth0
> is the DSL modem and 5 port switch is on Eth1).
> What I did notice is that the lrp is not getting an IP address from
> Covad.  "Extern IP" is blank, does not show an IP address.
> When I put everything back into the 486, guess what it connects up just
> fine.  The 486 machine gets an IP address from Covad.  When I had the
> 3Com nic's in the HP I ran the 3c5x9cfg config program to see if the
> cards were configured correctly.
> Any suggestions?

Make sure you're using the latest dhcp client.  The EigerStein disk images
have an older script that has problems connecting to some DHCP servers under
varying circumstances.  Since the problem can manifest itself in some
instances as a race condition, it could be affected by your local CPU
speed...

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net