From: "Robert Chambers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Charles Steinkuehler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "leaf"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 11:27 AM
Subject: Re: [Leaf-user] upgrading lrp box

Charles:
I also tried Dachstein 1.0.2 with PPPoE from Ken and it also would not
get an IP address from Covad.
" starting ADSL" would come back with "timed out". I was able to
connect to the weblet in both Eigerstein2beta and Dachstein and look at
the firewall status, so I know that I had the cables hooked up right.

Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

I tried to upgrade my lrp box from the little 486DLC to my HP Pavilion
which has a PII 400 mhz cpu.
So I took the nic's which are 3Com 3c509b ISA bus and the
Eigerstein2beta pppoe v.0.4 disk from the 486 and put them into the HP.
After the system boots up I checked to see if it found the cards and
it did. Eth0 =00:20:AF:40:77:E2 and Eth1=00:60:8C:E9:F3:5E which is
what is printed on the nic's, and cables are plugged in correctly ( eth0
is the DSL modem and 5 port switch is on Eth1).
What I did notice is that the lrp is not getting an IP address from
Covad. "Extern IP" is blank, does not show an IP address.
When I put everything back into the 486, guess what it connects up just
fine. The 486 machine gets an IP address from Covad. When I had the
3Com nic's in the HP I ran the 3c5x9cfg config program to see if the
cards were configured correctly.
Any suggestions?

Make sure you're using the latest dhcp client.  The EigerStein disk
images
have an older script that has problems connecting to some DHCP servers
under
varying circumstances.  Since the problem can manifest itself in some
instances as a race condition, it could be affected by your local CPU
speed...

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net