I tried to upgrade my lrp box from the little 486DLC to my HP Pavilion
which has a PII 400 mhz cpu.
So I took the nic's which are 3Com 3c509b ISA bus and the
Eigerstein2beta pppoe v.0.4 disk from the 486 and put them into the HP.
  After the system boots up I checked to see if it found the cards and
it did.  Eth0 =00:20:AF:40:77:E2 and Eth1=00:60:8C:E9:F3:5E  which is
what is printed on the nic's, and cables are plugged in correctly ( eth0
is the DSL modem and 5 port switch is on Eth1).
What I did notice is that the lrp is not getting an IP address from
Covad.  "Extern IP" is blank, does not show an IP address.
When I put everything back into the 486, guess what it connects up just
fine.  The 486 machine gets an IP address from Covad.  When I had the
3Com nic's in the HP I ran the 3c5x9cfg config program to see if the
cards were configured correctly.
Any suggestions?
Robert Chambers