Peter Jay Salzman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> complete LRP newbie here.
>
> i'm trying to set up dachstein cd 1.0.2.
>
> reading the comments in /etc/modules, it looks like cdrom:/lib/modules
> is supposed to be mounted on /lib/modules in the ramdisk.

Dachstein takes care of this for you so there must be some other
problem.

1.) Uncomment the Ethernet modules you need.  Many of the newer PCI base
ethernet modules require a pci-scan module.  Uncomment the supporting
modules too!

2.) Next hurdle is the new way of thinking with a LEAF distribution.
The whole OS is all contained in memory.  So even though you saved your
changes, they will not survive a reboot.  But on the flip side that's
great because if there is a problem a person just reboots.  What this
means to you is that you many not be using the backup menu to save the
changes you just made to the modules file.  Please use lrcfg--you boot
into it as root--and select the b option for Back-up. Use "d modules"
and "t modules" to set the destination and type of backup respectfully.
d should be floppy and t should be partial.  You will use this technique
later when you master the modules and start configuring other packages.

3.) Make sure you have some sort of configuration option on your
floppy.  I can boot from a cdrom so I only have a lrpkg.cfg file
containing the single line with out quotes of
"etc,local,modules,ramlog,dhclient,dnscache,dhcpd,weblet,lncurses,vim".
This is a good newbie configuration.

4.) reboot

5.) See if you have ethernet connectivity.  If so continue on
configuring the rest of the modules.

6.) Report back and let us know if you have success.

7.) Most of all give yourself patience.  It is worth the wait to get
your feet wet with a leaf distro.  LOL we were all newbies once except
people like Ray O., Charles S., and Dave Douthitt.  They just know.