Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
<snip>
> one question -- i grok the concept of the "filesystem going away" unless
> it's backed up to floppy.
>
> what i don't grok so much is the concept of partial backups.  the readme
> file on the cd is confusing.
>
> what i'd LIKE to think is that anything i modify will be packaged up in
> its own etc.lrp file on the floppy and untarred over the /etc generated
> by the cd version of etc.lrp.  however, the one thing i did manage to
> gather from the readme file is that it's not quite this simple.
>
> can you tell me a little bit about how partial backups work?
<snip>

For the etc.lrp I choose full backup.

Partial backups have just been introduced with the CD release.  I have
not hacked a package but this is my conceptial idea of what Charles has
just done.  Before a full backup of the package was required.  With the
current version the boot scripts have been modified to read the binary
stuff and the config seperately.  A partial backup puts all the config
stuff on a floppy.  It overrides the config stuff that is on the cdrom
package.  The cdrom package is loaded then your config file is loaded.
You will notice this one day as you see linuxrc do its magic.  If you
are still uncomfortable with this idea of partials, start using fullback
ups and at a later point when things work migrate to partials.

The whole point of either option is to save room on small foot print
disks like floppies.  LEAF distros are studies in micro engineering.  I
am excited about the CDrom versions because I loose lots of 168K
formatted to Arizona dust bunnies.  The "normal" 144k format seems to be
be more dust resistant.  Some time in 2002 I want to burn a CD with all
my changes.  My config doesn't change that much. (LOL the wife and kids
hate it when I play.)  The floppy would be there for just a place holder
so that dachstein can boot.

Finally, I take my floppy and copy it all to a directory on the
windows/samba server.  It is after all an msdos formatted disk.  If you
lose a floppy just make a new one off the windows directory and you're
back in business.

I hope this helps,
Greg Morgan