Hi All,
I had the same trouble with baking up /root. In past distributions it
was backed up with root.lrp. I am not sure where or if it is backed
up now. Regardless, every time I updated root.lrp I had to reinstall
my files so  I rolled my own lrp to back up just the /root directory.
Please feel free to use it. I named it rootdir.lrp and you can get it
at

http://home.pacbell.net/rcw1/lrp/file_index.html

It is set to back up all of /root except /root/tmp. Please note that
the first time you install it it will overwrite your /root folder
with mine.  The best way to install it would be to Move your files to
/tmp  Load rootdir.lrp manually using lrpkg -i . Then move your files
back into root and then backup rootdir.lrp. I have not tested this
install method but it sounds like it would work. Of corse you hove a
backup :).
Hope this helps
Robert Williams