On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

<snip>
> More difficult ones need helper modules to watch the outgoing protocol and
> build on-the-fly port forwarding rules for the return connections. If
> there are no programmers around with the appropriate incentive, such
> modules won't be written.
>
> Checkpoint's FWZ won't work because it is proprietary, encrypted, and if
> anyone could reverse engineer the protcol, it wouldn't be worth much,
> would it?  The frustrating thing is that Checkpoint ALSO supports IPSec,
> but your other endpoints may refuse to use it.

Supports is a questionable word :-) Cross-platform IPSec usage usually
requires dedicating a crypto-map (and hence, an entire physical
interfacE) from the other device to the CheckPoint tunnel. I know this
is true of Cisco and Nortel VPN gear.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...