From: Mark Lubratt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 7:04 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Leaf-user] pppd timing out.

Hi!

I've been banging my head against a wall for about 3 days now.  I have a LRP
system running on a 486 (dachstein 1.02).

The system is supposed to be a router/firewall for a small home network.  It
will serve DHCP as well.  The eth0 interface is on the local network.

I want to have diald working on it so that I can force a link during the day
and make other times be on demand.  I have the diald22.lrp package as well
as the pppd.lrp package installed.  I recompiled the kernel (2.2.19-3-LEAF)
to incorporate the serial drivers directly into the kernel (serial.o didn't
seem to work).  I'm using the slip, slhc, ppp, ppp_deflate and bsd_comp
modules.

The system seems to be dialing and connecting to my ISP just fine.  I get a
message in syslog that ppp0 has been registered and then immediately a
message talking about initializing the modem.  It would seem that pppd is
hanging or dying early.

If looked all throught the mail archives and deja.com.  People keep refering
to mail messages where this has been solved, but I can't seem to find them.
Does anyone out there have a working diald/pppd LRP setup??

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Mark