At 06:30 PM 1/16/02 +0000, Alex McLintock wrote:
..
>I am after advice because my first DachStein (floppy) installation is stuck.
>I then got DachStein DENYing absolutely everything that tried to leave the
>box. Happily a document on the sourceforge site gave me a clue. It said there
>was a single line in the Eiger network.conf file which denied any access
>when the external IP address was a "local" one such as 192.168.X.X or 10.X.X.X
>etc. "Hooray" says I. I have been getting addresses in the 10. range from
>my ISP. So I edit the file (1, 2 in lrfg) and find not one, but three lines
>which mention DENY and 10. ip address ranges. I comment them all out.
>
>So now I have a firewall which doesn't DENY packets going to the outside world
>but it doesn't seem to do anything with them.

Doesn't "seem" to? Nothing in the logs about them? Do the NIC lights flash
appropriately?

>If I log in to the box and try pinging the outside world (eg
>ping www.yahoo.com
>or
>ping 22.22.22.22
>)
>I get no response, 100% packet loss.

Well, I can't ping 22.22.22.22 either, so it may just not exist. And the
Yahoo problem may be DNS ... see below.

Try pinging by address an address that you *know* is good (say one you *can*
ping when you have your Windows workstation connected directly). Try the
gateway address (which will be in the routing table) or the nameserver
addresses (which need to be in /etc/resolv.conf, however they get there ...
see below).

>PS I don't know what my ISP's DNS server is. Does that matter or will DHCP
>pick that up for me?

It depends. DHCP *can* supply nameserver addresses, if the ISP chooses to
provide them that way. If it does so, usual DHCP client behavior (as a
recent thread here developed in detail) is to rewrite /etc/resolv.conf .
This file tells the router itself where to find nameservers, but it doesn't
tell other host behind the router where to find them.