Just helping with two details here:

At 11:14 PM 1/16/02 +0000, Alex McLintock wrote:
[...]
>Aha! Thanks for that. Please put it in the FAQ :-)
>It told me that my IP address for the laptop was 80.1.127.3,
>Gateway 80.1.127.1,
>DNS 194.168.4.100
>DHCP server 10.0.122.70
>
>Now when I boot up my DachStein box (just after the cable modem set top
box!!!)
>it gets the same DHCP server. I get a line something like
>DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 10.0.122.70 port 67
>DHCPACK from 10.0.122.70
>eth0 bound to 10.50.14.4

This is an odd result, but I bet it is just a weird way of implementing the
MAC-address authentication Lynn told you about. Try

        (a) turning off the cable modem (unplug it) for about a minute
        (b) telling your ISP that you are changing computers

One or the other of these things will *probably* fix your problem (depsnding
on whether they authenticate in the cable-modem box or at the head end.

[...]

>If I run ipchains -L it lists three input DENY rules and then hangs - not
displaying
>anything else except my previous "tail -f /var/log/syslog &"
>Is that normal? surely ipchains -L should list all the rules and then quit...

It is normal behavior for a system that has DNS problems, as your almost
surely does. Try "ipchains -L -n" to turn off reverse lookups.

And try "ipchains -L -n -v" for more complete characterization (albeit
harder to read) of the rulesets.