> The question is how to build a module for 2.2.16 if you don't have 2.2.16

Pretty tough...

> I can't get the old SMC cards  ( rtl8139.o)
> The new SMC EZCard 10/100 are very attractive but
> apparently use the tulip driver.
> The 2.2.16 tulip.o doesn't work with this board.
>   ( i guess it doen't work,  insmod  yield device resource busy
>       maybe it does support the board and I'm just doing something
>           wrong trying to load the module  ??? )
>
> The board is a 1255tx, I think that's an eth chip.
>
> Anyway
> I am really happy with eiger 2.2.16 and would hate to upgrade.
> I have the source for the driver  for 2.2 and it contains a pci_id
>       for SMC1255tx.
> How could I compile for 2.2.16 ??
>  I have a RH7.2   ( 2.4.7    glib 2.2.4)
> and a RH5,2  ( 2.0...    glib  2.0 something )

I'd suggest upgrading to the 2.2.19 kernel.  You don't have to upgrade your
whole distribution to do this...just replace the kernel file on the floppy
(the file named linux) and the modules in modules.lrp.  You can even cheat
and start with the files from a Dachstein relese (just make a Dachstein
floppy, and copy the linux and modules.lrp from it to your existing
firewall).

You can (and should!) even save your old system if for some reason the new
kernel doesn't work properly...use the "backupdisk" script on
Dachstein/Eigerstein, winimage, or dd to make clean diskcopies of the 1680K
disks.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net