> I'd suggest upgrading to the 2.2.19 kernel.  You don't have to upgrade
your
> whole distribution to do this...just replace the kernel file on the floppy
> (the file named linux) and the modules in modules.lrp.  You can even cheat
> and start with the files from a Dachstein relese (just make a Dachstein
> floppy, and copy the linux and modules.lrp from it to your existing
> firewall).
>
> Thanks  for responding.
> Does this mean that the tulip.o  on the 2.2.19 index  supports the 1255tx
card
> from SMC?
> My problem is that 2.2.16 tulip apparently does not.

I don't know for sure, but the tulip driver *is* much newer.  It's even
newer than the 2.2.19 kernel version of the driver, since I compiled all the
drivers maintained by Dan Becker seperately, and replaced the default kernel
versions with the newer ones...

> If so:
> so my existing  dhcp and ipchains and ipsec1.5 should be cool with the
newer
> kernel?

Ouch!  The IPSec will also have to be upgraded, since it talks to code
patched into the kernel.  I'd still recommend upgrading...the new 1.91
version of IPSec is much more friendly than the 1.5 version, and you can
simply copy your ipsec.conf and ipsec.secrets files directly into the new
package...no 'tweaking' required, unless you want to use some of the new
features available in 1.91.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net