Folks, I have begun receiving (and denying) long sequences of packets and I
am wondering what is going on.

I am running Dachstein 1.0.2 floppy on a 486/33 with 16MB.  VERY nice!
Thanks Charles and so many others.  I am on a cable connection with
Adelphia, from which I generally get good service.

Starting several days ago I began receiving long sequences of packets.  For
example, I received the following:
Jan 17 10:27:25 boxer kernel: Packet log: input DENY eth0 PROTO=6
65.103.98.68:2240 24.51.134.147:111 L=60 S=0x00 I=4296 F=0x4000 T=39 SYN (#62)
This packet is suspicious in itself, but I also received 38 more like it with
the same time stamp (10:27:25), identical in all fields except the T=
field.  That one contained the numbers 1-38 for each of the other
packets.  They appear in order, decreasing from 39 to 1, in /var/log/messages.

My understanding is that the T= field represents the number of stops the
packet has made between the originator and me, so I cannot understand
how a group of otherwise identical packets can make its way to me, each
with one fewer stops than the previous.  Any ideas?

--
                       Mike Sussman