> I was wondering if anybody else is, like me, having some problem with the
gzip/gunzip commands
> provided by the busybox currently used on Dachstein...
>
> I sometimes have problems decompressing (gunzip) files which where packed
by gzip (both being the
> busybox ones).
>
> I have had this problem mainly with the psentry.lrp package on my pc but I
had it with more than
> one package on one of my friends' pc... On his pc it could have been cause
by a flaky diskette or
> diskette drive since we were using 3 1/2 diskette drive but on mine I'm
using a properly terminated
> and AFAIK without bad sectors SCSI hard disk (which is, most of the time,
write-protected...)...

> I get the following error messages:
>
> gunzip: invalid compressed data--crc error
> gunzip: invalid compressed data--length error
>
> But the file is still considered OK by both Winzip & more importantly, the
"real" gunzip running
> on a full Linux distribution...
>
> There doesn't seem to be any problem relating to that logged on busybox
site...

I recall some e-mails about a CRC calculation problem with busybox
gzip...don't remember exactly when, but a problem was identified, and the
fix is likely in CVS, if not in the latest releases (check the change logs).

IIRC, other than the warning, everything unpacks OK, so the error is at
least somewhat benign.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net