At 11:44 AM 1/18/02 -0800, Kenneth Hadley wrote:
[...]
>I totally understand and agree with most of what you have said, but when I
>look at new CDROM drives going for the same price tag of a new 1.44MB Floppy
>Drive it seams a more than a little funny that a old floppy drive is a more
>important media target for a project than something that is a lot more
>reliable and allows the project to do so much more.

Where do you look? *New* CD-ROM drives are pretty cheap ... $US30 in today's
ads around here ... but not as cheap as *new* floppy drives ($US10, same ad)
by a lot. Do you know better sources for new equipment?

Anyway, unless you make a custom CD, you need a CD -AND- a floppy, not a CD
-OR- a floppy.

The other issue for the home user working with CDs is that he or she needs a
burner, and they are more expensive ($US50 locally today), require a
separate system to run them, and are more finicky than even 1680 floppy
drives and disks.

I'm moving away from this low-end equipment myself, but I still think we'll
lose a lot of user interest if floppy-only systems become impractical.