On 1/27/02 at 4:26 AM, malik menzong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 1)Once Im at the root I am prompted to choose b/w some
> options to configure the router. I found out how I can
> change and move out of each file that is presented to me,
> but when trying to save it (back up) it comes with the
> following error

> end_request, I/O error dev 02:2c(floppy), sector 19
> end_request, I/O error dev 02:2c(floppy), sector 20

> At first I thought it was a bad floppy but when I tried
> some brand new disk the error persisted and nothing got
> copied. Does that sound like a common thing? Is it the
> disk? should I make a image file from the cd first?

This is because you are trying to use a 1.44M floppy as if it was a
1.68M floppy.  You need to use a floppy that's been preformatted to
1.68M...

> 2)inside the /etc/ folder the file network.conf presented
> me with some questions: should I set eth0 as local or as
> external? the entries for eth0 and eth1 both requires IP,
> netmask and gateways setup should they be the same or
> different?

You need to have a firewall package like rcf.lrp or seawall.lrp
loaded. You also are setting up two interfaces on two different
networks; the IP addresses, network addresses, and netmasks are likely
to all be different.

> 3)I also saw two files that look kinda familiar to
> network.conf I am referring to networks.conf and
> gateways.conf. Do I need to configure those files too or
> should I rely only on the one first one (2)?

(A UNIX manual would help :)

/etc/network.conf configures your network.  /etc/networks is similar
to /etc/hosts: they allow you to have names for networks instead of
just numbers.  You should be able to ignore /etc/networks and
/etc/gateways I would think...

> 4)inside the module option I saw three network files:
> pci-scan tulip and eepro 100 since I am running 2 nics
> 3C905 I figured I need to get some drivers for those 2
> cards and mount them. Does that sound right or I have
> enough tools there?

pci-scan is used for supporting PCI cards; the others can likely be
removed. To see what modules are being used, do an 'lsmod' and see
which modules are needed for your setup.
--
David Douthitt
UNIX Systems Administrator