malik menzong wrote:

> Lynn:
> That is what I was saying. I open the resolv.conf file and wrote something
> like this:
> XXX.XXX.XXX # DNS0
> XXX.XXX.XX # DNS1

If you put valid statements into Oxygen's resolv.conf, then
you can sit down at the Oxygen terminal and type

   nslookup www.google.com

and it will return the correct address, assuming the network
is up and the default gateway is set correctly on Oxygen.
A valid resolv.conf looks like this:

    nameserver 206.13.28.12
    nameserver 206.13.31.12
    search schalit.net

The search line says that, if I type at the Oxygen prompt:
    nslookup ftp
it will automatically append the .schalit.net part of the
search statement and then try to look that up as in
    nslookup ftp.schalit.net
So that's the story with /etc/resolv.conf.

Now onto your internal network.  To get your LAN computer
functioning correctly, you need to assign them ip addresses
which are on the same subnet as the internal nic.  Thus the
whole internal network is on the same subnet.  I think you
did this already, something like:

    10.1.2.3/24      Internal comp
    10.1.2.4/24      Internal comp
    10.1.2.5/24      Internal comp
      ...                 ...
    10.1.2.254/24    Oxygen fireall

or something like

    192.168.1.1/24     Internal comp
    192.168.1.2/24     Internal comp
    192.168.1.3/24     Internal comp
    192.168.1.4/24     Internal comp
           ...           ...
    192.168.1.254/24   Oxygen

Next you have to set the Default Gateway on the
LAN computers.  You would set that to 10.1.2.254
if you were following my first example.

Next you have to set the primary and secondary DNS
on the LAN computers.  You set those to be the
same ip addresses as the ones you put in resolv.conf.

So now all your computers have the same dns addresses
listed in their network configs.

Once you do that, you should be able to sit down at
the LAN computers and

    ping 10.1.2.254
    ping 63.194.213.179        <--- that's me :)
    ping 216.239.35.100        <--- that's www.google.com
    ping www.google.com        <--- and finally by name.

Does it all work now?

> That is the only thing in that file. From behind the firewall I can ping to
> both network card address. from the router I can ping to the gateway fine.
> But if I type:
> ping cnn.com or ping XXX.XXX.XXX (actually ip address for cnn) it wont
> resolve it. all packets are lost.

It that doesn't work on Oxygen, if you can't ping 63.194.213.179, which
is my ipaddress, then Oxygen still needs work to get the default route
setup, I think.  Check that with

     ip addr show
     ip route show
     grep GATEWAY /etc/network.conf

and paste the output into your reply for us to see.

> > > also does ipsec comes in the 1668 self contained floppy image or do I
> > > need to copy it there? (oxygen 1.8.0 with openwall floppy)
> >
> >No, I don't believe it does, but I'm not sure ot this...

Ipsec does not come as part of the 1.8.0 floppy.  It's an add in package,
as Lynn mentioned.

Good Luck,
Matthew