I have a basic Dachstein-PPPoE floppy firewall setup with port 8888
opened on the firewall and forwarded to port 8888 on an internal
machine (192.168.1.10) which is running a web server on that port.

Sitting at another internal machine (192.168.1.40), I can access the web
server via its local network address, e.g. http://192.168.1.10:8888.

However, I have a web page hosted on an external site that has a
link to my internal web server via my firewall's external IP.  From
a machine outside my network, that link works fine, reaching my
internal web server.  However, if I connect to the external web page
from the internal network (e.g. 192.168.1.40), clicking on the link to
my internal web page fails.

Can anyone suggest what I should do or where I should look in order
to solve this?

-- Frank