> > > " Whether you want a DMZ or not (YES, PROXY, NAT, PRIVATE, NO) "
> >
> > YES - This is a traditional "routed" DMZ...your ISP routes a block of
IP's
> > to the external interface of your firewall
> >
> > PROXY - A "Proxy-ARP" DMZ...used if you've got a block of static IP's
from
> > your ISP.  The firewall essentially "glues together" two identical
network
> > segments, allowing your DMZ systems to be configured with public IP's
(just
> > like they were connected directly to your upstream modem), but still
having
> > the protection of a firewall.
>
> pn] I'm not sure I understand the distinction.  If both use public IPs
> for the DMZ machines, and
> in both cases traffic comes/goes through the external router/firewall
> interface, what makes each
> different from the other?  Maybe a small example would help.

Routed DMZ:

ISP router
Static routes 2.2.2.0/24 to 1.1.1.2
1.1.1.1/30

Upstream link (1.1.1.0/30)

1.1.1.2/30
Firewall
2.2.2.1/24

DMZ Network (2.2.2.0/24)

DMZ systems...

Proxy-ARP DMZ:
ISP router
3.3.3.1/29

Upstream link (3.3.3.0/29)

3.3.3.2/29
Firewall - Proxy-arp enabled
3.3.3.2/29

DMZ Network (3.3.3.0/29)

DMZ systems...

Note that a routed DMZ has *TWO* seperate subnets.  The one linking your
FW/router with the ISP, and the subnet the ISP routes to you for your local
systems.

The Proxy-ARP DMZ only has *ONE* subnet, with several usable IP's, typical
of cable-modem and xDSL connections with multiple static IP's.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net