On Sunday 03 March 2002 14:02, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have been looking at using PPTP to set up the VPN and so far things
> are starting to come together.
>
> My only problem is that I know that I will need to port forward
> 1723/tcp, but I am being told that I must also pass 47 gre and I am
> not sure if that is supposed to be tcp or udp or something else?
>
> Any idea's?

>From a post that Charles put up:

You need the ip_masq_pptp.o module loaded, which will do the dirty-work
of
masquerading the VPN link.  You still, however, need to allow the PPTP
packets through your firewall (only TCP/UDP/ICMP traffic is allowed by
default).  I believe this is protocol 47 (GRE), which you would allow
into
your Dachstein based firewall with the following:

EXTERN_PROTO0="47 1.2.3.4/32"

Where 1.2.3.4 is the IP of the remote VPN peer you're connecting to.  If
you're connecting to several VPN servers, you can either make an entry
for
each one (remember to increment the index number!), or use 0/0 for the
IP
range, which is the whole internet.

I hope this helps,
--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!