Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
[snip]
> When you run ssh on a *nix box, it will default to using a "low" port to
> make the connection unless you specify a command line switch

Aha.  I didn't realize that as I never run ssh from the
firewall to anywhere.  I always use an internal machine
whose traffic gets masq'd, or I connect *to* the firewall sshd.

I just checked putty on Win98, and it uses >1024 for a connection
it started to my LEAF sshd.

I just checked WinSCP on Win98, and it uses >1024 for a connection
it started to my LEAF sshd.

I just checked OpenSSH_3.0.2p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090603f,
on my Unix box, and it used >1024 for a connection it made to my LEAF sshd.

So I believe you, but I'm not sure that I've seen it yet.

Please disregard the cc to you, but I wanted to keep the thread
in order.  I wish it would do that without cc's.

Thanks,
Matthew