On Monday 04 March 2002 19:58, Matt Schalit wrote:

> But would you please fix the Oxygen section to refer to
>           apkg -s sshd
> for safe backing up of packages (with space checking).
> That's the way we do it on the Ox.  Maybe leave out the
> apkg -c stuff or put it last.  It's messy and not used.
> People don't do full backups either.  That's not really
> necessary.  Mostly is just apkg -s etc, or apkg -s <somepkg>.

GL) The "apkg" stuff is now updated. Thx!!!!

> acfg is the package configuration program.
> acfg -i gets you the GUI menu version where you can choose
>     the package you want to configure, like sshd, and it will
>     walk you through all the sshd configuration files.
> acfg -e sshd is the command line equivalent that doesn't use
>     the GUI menus.
>
> acfg -h gets you usage:
> =====================================
> # acfg
> usage: acfg -e <pkg> ....edit package configuration files
>         acfg -a       ....edit ALL package configuration files
>         acfg -h       ....this help
>         acfg -i       ....interactive use
>         acfg -l       ....list packages with configuration available
> =====================================

GL) Done!!!

>      * # kernel 2.2.20 w/ipchains
> He uses 2.2.19 as the most recent, or 2.4.6.
> He does not include ipchains by default on the
> base diskette.

GL) Really?? My floppy (stock) loads kernel 2.2.20

>      * # editor "e3" in vi-mode
> Run these commands:
>        echo EDITOR=e3vi >> /etc/profile
>        echo export EDITOR >> /etc/profile
>        apkg -s etc
>        . /etc/profile
> Also note that elvis.lrp is available, which has a much
> better vi implementation!

GL) OK, vi-mode is default on my disk. To be honest, I prefer ae-mode
so I know I didn't change it to vi-mode. I'll make a note for elvis.lrp.

>      * # Firewall/Filtering is not on the stock (default) image.
> You might note that ipchains isn't on the default image either
> and that David has always recommended starting with two diskettes
> at first.  The base and a package disk of your choice or your own
> creation.

GL) I put in David's recommendation.

> Sorry about these long posts.
> Matt

GL) No problem, I appreciate the suggestions!
--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!