At 09:29 PM 3/12/02 -0800, Doug Sampson wrote:
>I just thought of something else.  If there wasn't any entry in the
>/etc/hosts.allow file for web access (i.e., in.www:ALL; in:8080:ALL), would
>this stop any incoming traffic from coming in?  I am using the default
>/etc/hosts.deny file (ALL:PARANOID; ALL:ALL in that order).
>
>Does this shed any light on my situation?

If I understand the setup right, you are referring here to hosts.allow and
hosts.deny on the LEAF router. But the actual Web server runs on a different
host, on its port 80, and gets (or is supposed to get, once everythign
works) traffic forwarded from port 8080 on the LEAF router's external interface.

If I have all of that right, then the entries you describe will have no
effect on this problem. Only the port-forwarding code in the kernel is
involved on the LEAF router, and that makes no use fo these files, which are
used by inetd (and a few other server processes).

If I have any of my assumptions wrong, then please clarify appropriately.