Thanks.
Very clear and informative!!

More comments inline
> > I´m havin a lot of dnyed packets on port 53, like this one:
> > Mar 14 13:46:13 tptrtr kernel: Packet log: input DENY eth0 PROTO=6
> 202.139.133.129:46069 200.45.110.178:53 L=44 S=0x00 I=0
> F=0x0000 T=237 (#65)
> > The results of lising the rule are
> > # ipchains -nvL --line-numbers
> > 65     520 24564 DENY       all  ----l- 0xFF 0x00  eth0
> 0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0             n/a
>
> This is the "catch all" rule, which blocks any inbound traffic on the
> external interface that hasn't explicitly been allowed.
Perfect!!!

> > Can anyone help figuring out what's wrong (or may be right)
> The packets are TCP (protocol 6) with a source port of 46069 and a
> destination port of 53.  This is pretty wierd.  Port 53 is
> for DNS, but
> typically DNS queries only use UDP.  TCP packets to/from port
> 53 *ARE* used
> to do zone transfers, and occasionally to transfer
Fun is I have a DNS server but I have disallowed zone transfers.
Its an internal caching DNS (W2K)

> particularly large DNS
> queries/responses.  The high source port number of 46069
> would lead me to
> believe the remote end initiated the connection.
Why should this happend?? Any threat??

> If you're not running a DNS server, I'd say the traffic is
> some sort of scan
> or probe, and should be denied.  If you're actually running a
> DNS server,
I DO (see above) but I (mis?)understand that if zone transfers are
not allowed (nor wanted) why will someone try to do a transfer to my
system??? Looking for bind??

> this traffic isn't so unusual...you should look into
> references on packet
> filtering and securing your DNS server...if you simply drop
> inbound TCP
> queries, you can cause delays in name resolution for your
> domains, but fully
> securing DNS is beyond the scope of this e-mail, and your
> original question.
Where and how?? Some pointers (links may be?)

> HTH,
Helped a LOT!!!

Thanks Charles

Sergio