This question comes up from time to time.  After much
research and worrying, it usually turns out to be the
results of a class of tools represented by a product
called Big IP.  This tool is sold to companies that want
to tailor the browsing experience of their visitors by
positioning Web Servers around the net, and then
pointing the browser to the "nearest" server.  To do
this, they flood you with a type of "ping" request to
get a round trip time.  You usually get hit by a few
packets from a bunch of servers, all within a very short
period of time.  The quickest response wins, and you get
redirected to that server.  They have been using port 53
lately.  If you review your logs, you'll find that these
most often occur when you were browsing, and probably
got one of those #$%# popup ads.

Sean
> Thanks.
> Very clear and informative!!
>
> More comments inline
> > > I´m havin a lot of dnyed packets on port 53, like
this one:
> > > Mar 14 13:46:13 tptrtr kernel: Packet log: input
DENY eth0 PROTO=6
> > 202.139.133.129:46069 200.45.110.178:53 L=44 S=0x00
I=0
> > F=0x0000 T=237 (#65)
> > > The results of lising the rule are
> > > # ipchains -nvL --line-numbers
> > > 65     520 24564 DENY       all  ----l- 0xFF 0x00
eth0
> > 0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0             n/a
> >
> > This is the "catch all" rule, which blocks any
inbound traffic on the
> > external interface that hasn't explicitly been
allowed.
> Perfect!!!
>

> > > Can anyone help figuring out what's wrong (or may
be right)
> > The packets are TCP (protocol 6) with a source port
of 46069 and a
> > destination port of 53.  This is pretty wierd.  Port
53 is
> > for DNS, but
> > typically DNS queries only use UDP.  TCP packets
to/from port
> > 53 *ARE* used
> > to do zone transfers, and occasionally to transfer
> Fun is I have a DNS server but I have disallowed zone
transfers.
> Its an internal caching DNS (W2K)
>
> > particularly large DNS
> > queries/responses.  The high source port number of
46069
> > would lead me to
> > believe the remote end initiated the connection.
> Why should this happend?? Any threat??
> >
> > If you're not running a DNS server, I'd say the
traffic is
> > some sort of scan
> > or probe, and should be denied.  If you're actually
running a
> > DNS server,
> I DO (see above) but I (mis?)understand that if zone
transfers are
> not allowed (nor wanted) why will someone try to do a
transfer to my
> system??? Looking for bind??
>
> > this traffic isn't so unusual...you should look into
> > references on packet
> > filtering and securing your DNS server...if you
simply drop
> > inbound TCP
> > queries, you can cause delays in name resolution for
your
> > domains, but fully
> > securing DNS is beyond the scope of this e-mail, and
your