I certainly have to defer to Charles and Michael - but if you want an
example, here's how I did it, based on Charles instructions in the
Dachstein CD notes.  Feedback or suggestions for improvement of my setup
are welcome!

I have an ancient 486DX with a mere 16Mb of ram for my firewall, boot off a
floppy, then read the CDROM for modules.

I added the floppy drive to the PKGPATH in "syslinux.cfg" on the boot
floppy, and libz.lrp to "lrpkg.cfg" as well, with the search order R
(reverse search of PKGPATH, stop on first match).

Here's the content of the files:

# mount -t msdos /dev/fd0u1680 /mnt
mount: /dev/fd0u1680 is write-protected, mounting read-only

firewall: -root-
# cat /mnt/syslinux.cfg
display syslinux.dpy
timeout 0
default linux append=load_ramdisk=1 initrd=root.lrp initrd_archive=minix
ramdisk_size=12288 root=/dev/ram0 boot=/dev/fd0u1680,msdos
PKGPATH=/dev/cdrom:iso9660,/dev/fd0u1680:msdos
LRP=etc,ramlog,local,modules,dhclient,dhcpd,dnscache,weblet

firewall: -root-
# cat /mnt/lrpkg.cfg
etc,ramlog,local,modules,dhclient,dhcpd,dnscache,weblet,ifconfig,mawk,ipsec,sshd,libz:R,tcpdump

On boot, only the libz.lrp from the floppy is loaded.  Now, if I can just
figure out what kind of memory to put in this ancient box, I'll get enough
to load bash...

         Ken