Some quick feedback to the security-conscious hyperbole
about VNC that's flown across the list recently. In my experience,
it's not exactly true that VNC has "very little" in the way of
security. Some features it has (and I've used):

1. Via AuthHosts, you can specify which IP addresses are allowed and
   not allowed to connect.

2. Via QuerySetting, you can require that explicit permission be
   granted by someone sitting in front of the server for every
   connection attempt that passes AuthHosts.

3. Unlike telnet and others, the connection password is not sent
   entirely in clear text.

4. Once a user does connect, they have the exact same permissions
   that the currently-logged-in user on the server has. If you
   run the VNC server while logged in as "guest", then you're
   visiting VNC connections are "guest" as well. Not "admin".

5. Finally, AFAIK, there are no buffer overflow vulnerabilities
   to the VNC service. PCAnywhere, Citrix MetaFrame, WinXP TermServ
   can say the same thing, sure, but the comfort of open-source
   community review in this case...

        I *of course* agree that tunneling VNC through SSH is
much more secure than running naked VNC. However, there are good
and worthwhile steps a new VNC user can take to create security
layers *before* they add the SSH finishing touch. Is my point.

        Furthermore, at the end of the day, it *is* a remote-control
application after all: any successful connection gets remote access
to the server. I think this, to some degree, makes VNC *appear* to
be less secure than, say, running a web-service. That is, the worst
case scenario of running any service behind your firewall is that
a black-hat could exploit it to get VNC-like access to one of your
machines. With VNC on the other hand, installed without any
precautions, a black-hat is just one password away from exactly
that.
        With precautions, though, I'd argue you're in better shape
that someone using an IE browser with ActiveX enabled. Anyhow, just
my opinion; I'm just one for keeping the baby after the bath. :)

cheers,
Scott