When I'm talking about 8-12 K/s I mean Kilobytes per second.  My connection
is Cable with 384 Kilobits /s up, and 3 Megabits/s down.  The FTP client is
running on another ISP entirely so it looks like:

My Client -> LEAF box (no QoS) -> Internet -> DCD box (QoS running) ->
Server

There is no DMZ in place.  So thats what the FTP looks like.

The other issue is the following:

I have a file sharing program (family members getting music and such) that
uses both TCP and UDP ports in order to communicate.  The Port that I use is
412 TCP&UDP and is forwarded to a server not in a DMZ.  My main goal is to
limit the sending capabilities of the program to a value that is very low so
it doesn't interfere with other more important outgoing information i.e.
FTP, Mail, VPN.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.