I think the problem might have been my ISP - after messing around with the
script for a day or two - and completely mangling it - I disabled the script
- didn't bother checking how my FTP server was doing, but the next day
everything was fine without the script.  I reloaded the script and all was
well.

<side note>

I also added my own class (to the new package as well) for the file sharing
program my brother uses.  It seems to work fine if someone using an active
connection connects to me (throttles the bandwidth appropriatly).
Unfortunatly if they are using a passive connection I can't throttle them.
Here is how the application works:

Port 412 is forwarded to an internal computer.  With active connections it
is a direct (UDP) link 412 -> 412 so I just add a rule that says if the
dport is 412 slow the connection down.  With passive its (TCP) port 412 -> a
random port.  Adding a rule with a sport of 412 doesn't work cause it kills
the incoming traffic as well.  Here are the rules I came up with:

tc filter add dev $EXTERN_IF parent 1:0 protocol ip prio 26 u32 match \ ip
dport 412 0xffff flowid 1:10
tc filter add dev $EXTERN_IF parent 1:0 protocol ip prio 27 u32 \
  match ip src 192.168.2.200/24 6 0xff  \
  match ip sport 412 0xffff \
  flowid 1:20

The above filter doesn't seem to do anything at all.  Any ideas would be
appreciated.  The reason my flow ids are different is because the first
connection uses UDP and needs to go before the UDP filter (I think).  The
send is 1:20 just so I could keep everything together.

</side note>

Thanks again Sandro