> I'm not positive ( Charles could confirm this) but it seems likely that
the
> Dachsteinn-small kernal was substituted somewhere during the evolution of
> the Dachstein floppy-disk distro as a space-saving measure.

Yes, serial support was pulled out of the Dachstein-small kernel, along with
various advanced routing features to save space.

The previous Materhorn and Eiger kernels had substantially more features
enabled by default.  Combined with UPX compression of the kernel, the
Dachstein-small kernel used for the floppy distribution is 138,712 bytes
*SMALLER* than the previous Eiger kernel (361,430 bytes vs 500,142 bytes).
That's quite a substantial savings for a floppy distribution!

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net