On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 17:12, Matt Schalit wrote:
> Stephen Lee wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I noticed that rdate from Bering does not seem to accept the "-u" switch
> > for time requests using UDP. I suspect many of the RFC868 rdate servers
> > are only accepting UDP requests because under RedHat7.2 I needed the
> > "-u" switch to get a response for most of the servers tried. It appears
> > that the Bering rdate version is from Busybox and so is there a way to
> > get UDP queries from it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Stephen
>

> I think tock.usno.navy.mil still accepts rdate queries.
> You might try there.
>
> As far as your UDP question goes, I'm not sure, but
> people like to use xntpd for setting the time via
> the internet because it's the standard service for
> that sort of thing and is well regarded.
>
> rdate is old and a part of busybox I think.

Thanks. I installed xntpd.lrp and pointed it to one of the public ntp
servers. The problem is that my hardware clock is so far off that it's
going to take ntpd a long time to synchronize the local time to the
remote ntp server time. I would normally use rdate to do a quick fix but
in this case rdate doesn't work with tock.usno.navy.mil. It, like all of
the other rdate servers tried, only accepts udp queries. I suppose if
all else fails I could manually set the time with 'date' and 'hwclock'.

Stephen