Stephen Lee wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 12:56, Michael D. Schleif wrote:
> > > >
> > > Thanks. I installed xntpd.lrp and pointed it to one of the public ntp
> > > servers. The problem is that my hardware clock is so far off that it's
> > > going to take ntpd a long time to synchronize the local time to the
> > > remote ntp server time. I would normally use rdate to do a quick fix but
> > > in this case rdate doesn't work with tock.usno.navy.mil. It, like all of
> > > the other rdate servers tried, only accepts udp queries. I suppose if
> > > all else fails I could manually set the time with 'date' and 'hwclock'.
> >
> > Try this:
> >
> >       rdate -s ntp0.cornell.edu
> >

> I get "rdate: ntp0.cornell.edu: Connection refused" on Bering boxes but
> it works on Eigerstein2b boxes. Could there be some firewall setting
> causing this problem?

I do not know which `rdate' is in Bering.  Dachstein, &c. uses busybox
rdate.

Regarding firewalled ports, have you checked these?

        ntp             123/tcp    Network Time Protocol
        ntp             123/udp    Network Time Protocol

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .