-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Dave Anderson
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 8:50 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Leaf-user] Using LEAF with one static public IP address

Hi,

I'm going to be switching my home network from ISDN to ADSL in the next few
weeks, and I want to set up a LEAF firewall in preparation. I currently have
a linux box as my gateway, running iptables. That box has the fixed public
IP address that my ISP provided. I also run a few services on that machine,
such as qmail, dns, www, sshd.

I'm going to buying an ADSL router, which will have an ethernet port on the
back, and I'm thinking of connecting that to my LEAF firewall, which
forwards traffic on to my internal network, including the linux box on which
I want to continue to run services.

My questions are these (and I realise they're not all totally specific to
LEAF, but I know you guys know your networking ;-)

- Will my adsl router get my public ip address (presumably)

- if so, should the router then have an internal address on it's private
facing port

- if, so, then presumably the LEAF external port is in the same network

- in the above setup, can I plug the internal eth from the router into the
LEAF NIC, with the right sort of cable

- Does my internal LEAF port then use another internal network, which
presumably is the same as my internal machines

- Do I then need to specifically nat all incoming requests to my particular
internal server (www, smtp etc)

- If so, does that mean I shouldn't use dhcp on the internal network, so I
can hard code the internal IP address of my server

And finally, does all this sound like the best way of doing this? My home
server is not really used by a large number of people - mainly for home
email and me logging in via ssh and imaps. It's pretty secure at the moment
with iptables on it, but I'd like to run LEAF, partly for even better
security, and partly to get used to LEAF even more.

Many thanks,
Dave