On Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:41:04 EDT Mike Sussman wrote:

> Both Victor and Greg suggest that when I THOUGHT I disconnected
> from my University account, the connection ACTUALLY stayed open
> for 18 hours afterward.  This is likely, although I do not
> know why it might happen and I don't know how to track down
> what is really going on.

<random_thoughts>
Is it possible that there was a background process running in
the shell that was spawned for the ssh connection?  I've had
that cause ssh tcp sessions to remain open after I logout.
Traffic through ssh port forwarding tunnels will also keep a
session open after logout.

With the openssh client it's easy to tell the tcp connection
hasn't closed though because the ssh client process won't end
so you don't get a shell prompt back on the local host side.
</random_thoughts>

--Brad