From: leaf [mailto:leaf]On Behalf Of Jacques Nilo
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2002 4:47 PM
To: Eric B Kiser
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Leaf-user] serial console access

Eric B Kiser wrote:

> [Jacques-Snip]
> Bering v1.0-rc1 does not have serial compiled in the kernel. This seems
> necessary to have serial console access. I am considering to have serial
> compiled in v1.0-rc2 for that reason. Any comment from the list on that
> issue?
> [/snip]
>
> Based on the above statement Mr. Nilo is awaiting feedback from us to
> determine whether the serial module will be compiled in. I would like to
ask
> that everyone who wants it to please be sure and hit the list with that
> request so that the Bering team is aware of our interest. Here is mine...
>
> Bering Team, please compile the serial module into the kernel for the rc2
> release. It would be greatly appreciated.

Eric:
I am afraid I am going to disappoint you. I have been thinking about
this issue and the only usage I see for serial built into the kernel is
the ability to see the kernel logging messages on your serial terminal.
Everything else can be done by putting the serial.o in /boot/lib/modules
Once logged in the kernel logging messages can then be seen with dmesg
Also you won't generally start directly with a console-only monitoring.
You will generally setup your floppy to configure it on a "normal"
machine and at the very end switch to console monitoring facility.
Finally the cost of serial on the kernel is 10K. Quite significant from
a floppy point of vue.
Jacques