> > Bering doesn't have serial support compiled into the kernel.
>
> Yes.  True.  I have used the posts at the beginning of this thread to
> configure my serial-as-a-module kernel to boot, and I get (finally) a
> login message, but no boot messages.
>
> I just get the initial message which lets me know Linux is loading, then
> nothing until the login prompt.  All I want to know is if there is
> something I am missing to see this relevant stuff (even if it is just a
> file to look at or a command to issue post-login)

Without serial support complied into the kernel, this is all you will get.
To see kernel boot messages, you need to have serial support compiled into
the kernel (ie not a module), and you also need to pass the kernel a
console= parameter, telling it to send messages to the serial port.

NOTE:  You can have more than one console= setting, for multiple consoles.
Kernel messages will go to all consoles, but standard I/O (like the output
from the linuxrc init script) will only go to the "primary" console, which
is the last console= device listed on the kernel command line.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net