On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 00:27:23 -0400
"Eric B Kiser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> damn... I have just been sitting here staring at my monitor while the
> reality of what I am trying to do has dawned on me. When Tom pointed me
> in the direction of the files ip_conntrack_ipsec.o and ip_nat_ipsec.o I
> began searching for them under the assumption that I would just load
> them like any other module. After reading your reply things suddenly
> came more into focus. If I understand this correctly, then what I am
> actually looking for is a patch that will make these options available
> for when I have to recompile the kernel. At which time, I can then
> select to either compile them as modules or to compile them directly
> into the kernel.
>
> Thanks Joey, for the offer of assistance. Any and all help would be
> graciously received. I am still a newbie here so if someone would be
> kind enough to either confirm or deny my assumptions about how to go
> about this I would appreciate it.

Your assumptions are correct.  As Tom said, the only "ip_conntrack" and
"ip_nat" (formerly "ip_masq") modules available in the default kernel
sources are ftp and irc.  Any others will need to be applied to your
kernel sources as a patch (I believe Tom pointed you at the netfilter site
before), then configure your kernel to build those new options as modules
and build it.

http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO//netfilter-extensions-HOWTO.txt

As far as I have seen, Bering does not include any non-standard netfilter
modules.  But, since Bering and Dachstein seem to be gaining some
popularity for ipsec-based systems, it never hurts to ask Jacques whether
he can patch his kernel with these.  Well, it won't hurt you anyways (eh,
Jacques!) ;-)

HTH,
Chad