I'm putting in a wireless link from friends in city to farm for faster
Internet access and need to have a remote repeater site on hill running
from battery and solar power. LEAF should be ideal for this. I will make
a power supply to run the mother board direct from the battery to reduce
losses (about %15) from using Inverter and PC supply.  Sun power might
be free but solar panels are not cheap, so the lower the losses and
power requirements the better.

I was wondering if it was worth using a 386 board rather than a 486 to
further reduce power requirements.  From what I can find most of the
LEAF distributions require 486 hardware, I also saw a post mentioning
that slower machines with wireless cards might cause problems.  I have
just picked up some spectrum24 ISA 2Mbps cards for a bargain price so
will be using these in the system, I only need 256Kbps so processing
power isn't a biggie from what I can tell.

A lot of this stems from the fact that I have a spare 386 board kicking
round somewhere.  Is it worth trying to use it?  I will probably use
486's at each end of the system so would prefer to use the same LEAF
distro to keep things simple.

The WRP is supposed to run on a 386/16MB BUT on their site they say
http://nocat.net/download/WRP/ "Please don't use WRP if you can possibly
avoid it. We never got the chance to finish it...." Has anyone tried it?
I don't have the wireless cards here yet to see what works.  Only
reference I could find in a search under google is that the PPP doesn't
work in it, I don't need that in a repeater anyway.

so questions repeated for clarity:
- Will I reduce power requirements by using a 386 Mobo in repeater site?
- Is it worth the effort if I have to re-work one of the LEAF's to run
on 386?
- What would be required to get to run on 386?
- Anyone know of problems using Symbols Spectrum24 2Mbps ISA cards on
low spec machines with LEAF distros?
- Is there a LEAF distro you can recommend for this?
- Anyone tried WRP, would it work ok in a repeater only situation?

Thanks for any help.

Steve Nicholson.