Steve,

You will indeed learn a lot from this project, and of course you can do
that learning while tethered to the power pole.

Having dealt with alternate energy systems since 1985, including remote
sites operating radio and telecommunications gear, I can assure you that
you will not be operational for any length of time using solar/battery
power unless you are willing to spend many times the cost of an AP for
solar panels, batteries, and energy management equipment.

Even using an off-the-shelf AP, (two if you want to repeat), is not a
simple excercise using solar power.  To my knowledge, there is no AP today
that has been designed with minimal energy usage as a primary goal.

By all means play with LEAF and wireless networking, but don't expect much
from a surplus 386.  Even an old laptop would suck too much energy to run
on a simple solar/battery system.

Have fun.

--
Sincerely,