On Monday 03 June 2002 04:16 pm, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> As you can see, there's not a lot to it.  The singlefilearg
> command is defined in /bin/POSIXness, and checks to make sure the
> file /etc/init.d/$1 exists...if it does, the appropriate init.d
> script is run, with any arguments to svi passed as parameters to
> the init.d script (see the [b]ash man page for details on expansion
> of $@ ).

In other words, svi runs the system initialization script specified
with the appropriate parameters.

All that mail for one sentence...

svi comes from Debian I understand; Oxygen leans towards Red Hat and
uses the service command for the same thing - though I think it'll
list all of the possible services if you just type "service" but I
can't remember.