On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Nachman Yaakov Ziskind wrote:

> [I have no clue what Bind 9 views is, or how to set it up. But I suspect
> it involves doing things through DNS. I further suspect it will be like
> pulling teeth with every w/s pointing to my ISP's DNS servers. I suppose
> I *could* just load a hosts file on every workstation. Ouch.]

Now who is being sarcastic?

It is possible to run a DNS server that only serves your local hosts. If
you are using DHCP to configure your local hosts, changing the DNS servers
is trivial.  It sounds like you are configuring your hosts statically
though; in that case, requests from your local network that are addressed
to your ISP's servers can be transparently redirected to this local DNS
server so that you don't have to change your local host's configuration.
Setting up the redirection involves adding two Shorewall rules.

In either case, you would have to learn how to set up a DNS server.

Network administration is more than inserting a CD and clicking a couple
of Yes/No boxes. To do it right, you acutally have to learn something.

Sorry....

-Tom
ICQ: #60745924  \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]